An attempt at Gluten Free bread....

There's a reason we are trying to transition away from gluten, because we all love breads and pastas so much :)

That being said I know that if we are going to make this transition I MUST find a bread recipe that will work for us.  I did some searching to find paleo bread recipes and decided to start out by trying this one....

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2013/03/finally-gluten-free-bread-that-doesnt-suck.html

I didn't follow her recipe exactly, I didn't have brown rice flour for the flour blend, only white rice flour but I decided to go ahead anyway.  I also didn't have egg replacer powder, I added a Tablespoon of potato starch instead at that step.  I also used 2% milk instead of powdered milk and just subtracted from the water.

Here is my version: Which still needs to be tweaked based on my results

Rice Flour Blend
Makes 4 cups
1⅓ cups rice flour
1⅓ cups tapioca flour
1⅓ cups cornstarch
1 tablespoon potato flour

 Mix this up together, I put it in a canister and shook it up.

Jillee’s Gluten-Free Bread That Doesn’t Suck 

This is her recipe, with my changes in the side in parentheses... She has lots of good info on her blog. Ingredients:
4 cups Brown Rice Flour Blend (remember her recipe uses brown rice flour, I used regular)
1 tablespoon xanthum gum
1 tablespoon gluten free egg replacement (I subbed potato flour)
2 teaspoons salt
½ cups Powdered milk (I used 1/2 cup 2% milk since we aren't avoiding dairy)
 3 large eggs at room temperature
¼ cup butter at room temperature
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
⅓ cup honey
1 package (2¼ teaspoons) active dry yeast (not INSTANT dry yeast)
2 cups warm water (I only used 1 1/2 cup since I was using real milk)

Prep your two loaf pans (spray with cooking spray or grease them)
Add the yeast to the 2 cups of warm water and stir until mixed. Set this aside to activate while you mix the rest of the ingredients.
 Mix the flour blend, xanthum gum, gluten-free egg replacer, salt, and powdered milk together in a medium-size bowl and set aside.

Put eggs, butter, vinegar,milk (if using liquid) and honey in the bowl of your mixer. With the paddle attachment, mix together for about 30 seconds. The butter will be chunky, that’s OK.
Add half the dry ingredients to the wet mixture in the mixer. Mix just until blended, and then add the remaining dry ingredients and mix for another 30 seconds, until blended.
With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the warm water and yeast mixture, then turn the mixer to medium-high speed and beat for 4 minutes.  After the 4 minutes your bread dough should resemble thick cake batter.
Pour into prepared pans and using wet fingers smooth the top.  Like so...

 Set them aside to rise in a warm dry place.  Mine took FOREVER to rise, but I think it's because my house is so drafty.... Unfortunately after raising for awhile it fell before I could get it into the oven so my loaves are flat.
Preheat your oven to 375 and bake for 45-50 minutes.
 Let cool for 10 minutes then flip out of pan to finish cooling COMPLETELY
 Slice and enjoy....
 As you can see it has nice air pockets and a nice crust.  I wish it hadn't fallen but it still tastes good and slices easily.  I'm going to try it again after we eat these two loaves and see if I can get a higher loaf.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding My Voice.... and my story

Nursing School Break...

Dogs!!!