Where we are now.... and where are we going

I am going to try and do better about this whole blogging thing. We are currently in Washington state, back at Fort Lewis (or JBLM) as it's called now. We have been here for a little over a year. The oldest is off at college (and some days are better than others for her). The middle kid has started to study for her AP testing and is excited and scared for Junior year next year. Our little baby, isn't so little anymore.... She is scared about next year and starting high school. She has also continue to grow her artistic talents and is turning into quite the painter.....

Jim, well he has decided to retire from the Army.... That's right, this Crazy Army Life is approaching retirement. The thought of being out and on our own is a little intimidating.... Where do we go now? Most people go home... but where is home? My family is scattered to the winds... Jim's are all in Missouri. Missouri is where we consider home, but.... it's a limited practice state for me.

I have been working as a nurse practitioner for over  a year now... I love it, I love being able to take care of people (although I do wish that I had magic googles to diagnose with and a wand to heal people). I don't always love my job (sometimes I'm quite slow and bored)... but I love my co-workers. My career is playing a huge part in where to go next.... Not every state allows me to work to the full level of my education. I want to work with Doctors, I love consulting and partnering with them.... I do this regularly. I don't want to have to have their permission to treat things though.... Which is where the problem lies... in the states we most want to move to (Missouri, and Texas) I would need a supervising physician. Someone to approve my charts and treatment plans.... Sounds like not a big deal, but it can be if you disagree with the treatment plan they want to do....

So where to next??? We are looking at the midwest because I want to be closer to family, and to my oldest.... that's one thing I have learned over this first year of her being away from home. Being so far away that we can't help in a crisis does not do this Mamma's heart any good. So any state in the midwest that is FULL practice is game.... right now, the focus is on Iowa. Yep, Iowa... all the Iowa jokes we have made over the years (and there have been many....) and that is where we are looking at the hardest. Jim and I are really liking the Cedar Rapids - Iowa City area.... it looks beautiful, about 5 hours from family (only an hour or two from our Iowa family) and from Chicago and Wisconsin friends. So many ask is the decision made???  NOPE, not in the slightest. Since we have a year until we can really start to plan the move (Jim's out date is next January) it's too soon to apply for jobs.

I am not brave enough to say that's the place and plan the move without a job lined up. It is most likely the place.... but first a job needs to be there. There are plenty right now, we shall see what next year brings.

Jim is planning a cross country hike from here to Florida.... to clear his mind after the military. So most likely wherever the move is too.... we will be moving while he's on the hike. So another move solo.... Just our life... still the crazy army life and soon to be the retired army life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding My Voice.... and my story

Nursing School Break...