Homemade Chicken Patties and Squash Fries

First of all... Let me say I apologize for the lack of pics in this weeks blog posts.  My camera is in Nebraska with my oldest so I have no photos of the food I'm cooking this week. 
Last night for dinner I tried a recipe I copied from the internet ages ago to try (no clue now what website or I would give credit).  Homemade Chicken Patties..  My girls love chicken patties but I wanted to give them something a little healthier than the processed meat things at the store.  For a side I made the Hungry Girl's Squash Fries.  Both girls were thrilled and so was I, fast food at home :)

Homemade Chicken Patties
  •  1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup chopped celery
  • 6 tablespoons butter (divided in half)
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1 1/3 cup milk (divided)
  • 2 tablespoons parsley
  • 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
  • 2 cups finely chopped cooked chicken (planned leftovers from another day maybe)
  • 1 cup fiber one crumbs (great breading and adds lots of fiber) or bread crumbs
 
In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in 3 tablespoons butter until tender.  Combine flour and 1 c milk.  Gradually add to pan.  Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.  Add parsley, seasonings and chicken.  Remove from the heat.  Chill until completely cooled
Shape chicken mixture into patties (size of your choice, I made mine to fit thin bread for buns).  Dredge in crumbs, then in milk, then back in crumbs.
Fry in butter about 3-4 min per side till browned or Freeze wrapped in wax paper and then fry for 6-8 min per side from frozen. 

Squash Fries

1 medium butternut squash
olive oil
seasoning salt or kosher salt

Slice butternut squash in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds
Peel squash, then slice into fry shapes.  The first time in a while I wished I still had my mandolin.
Dry with paper towel to remove excess moisture
Place in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil.  Sprinkle with salt and mix it up to evenly distribute the oil and salt
Place on a cookie sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.  
Bake in a 400 degree oven 40 min or until done.
These taste slightly sweet, but the girls gobbled them up with Ranch dressing.

Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Really, really yummy. I will say that I didn't get all my patties made up that night. The next morning I added some of the fiber one crumbs too the meat mixture and it made the patties hold together better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finding My Voice.... and my story

Nursing School Break...

Where we are now.... and where are we going