Sloppy Joes

So sorry I haven't been keeping up with the blog... What can I say?  Life intervenes sometimes.  I have been crazy busy with work, the kids, church and school.  That being said... Perhaps I have found a balance (and if not this term is over in two weeks and I will go from 4 classes down to 2).  

Now for the Sloppy Joes... I took these to church back in August for a potluck and I think they were a big hit.  I love homemade Sloppy Joes because you can make a mess of them for fairly cheap and feed lots of people.  My girls have gotten spoiled with homemade and won't touch Manwich now for anything (which is what I grew up with).  Thanks goes out to my friend Stacey who pointed out that I could make them better without that nasty can years ago... I have my own recipe down pat now and thought I would share with you.


  • 2 Tablespoons Butter
  • 1 1/2 pounds Ground Beef
  • 1 1/2 pounds Ground Turkey  
  • 1  Onion, Diced
  • 1 Green Bell Pepper, Diced
  • 6 cloves Garlic, Minced
  • 1-½ cup Ketchup
  • 1 cup Water
  • 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
  • 2 teaspoons Chili Powder
  • 1 teaspoon Dry Mustard
  • 3/4  teaspoons Red Pepper Flakes
  • Worcestershire Sauce To Taste
  • 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
  • Tabasco Sauce, just a dash
  • Salt To Taste
  • Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
  • buns
  • Butter
 

Add butter to a large skillet, Add ground beef and turkey cook until brown. Drain most of the fat and discard, put meat in the crock pot.

Add onions, green pepper, and garlic to skillet (add some olive oil if you need to). Cook for a few minutes, or until vegetables begin to get soft, put in crock pot. 

Add ketchup, brown sugar, chili pepper, dry mustard, and water, adding salt and pepper to taste. Also add tomato paste, Worcestershire, and Tabasco. 

Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.  Turn crock pot on low and let it simmer as long as you like (it can go all day, just watch the fluid level so it doesn't burn).
Spread on buns.... If you are serving small kids you can try hot dog buns instead of hamburger,easier for them to hold. :) 
 This is easy to double (note this is a doubled recipe in my large crock pot for church).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding My Voice.... and my story

Nursing School Break...

Where we are now.... and where are we going