I admit, have NEVER actually made one of them. I always mean too but then I just don't get around to it and it's buried somewhere and I'm not digging it out.
Today was different. I had apples that the girls hadn't eaten yet and needed to be used or thrown out. Normally when I have apples like that I make Ozark Apple Pudding (a family recipe from Jim's side). This morning I decided I was going to make the Apple Cinnamon Loaf that has been floating around facebook. It said it cooked in 20-30 min... Now I have baked many breads and that seemed a bit short to me but figured it was worth a shot.
I increased the apple because I wanted to use more and make it nice and appley (is that a word?). The girls of course woke up while I was making it and they were anxiously waiting for it to cook so they could eat. Hungry girls having to wait for bread to bake... Led to somewhat grumpy girls too I might add :)
I tried to keep them entertained divvying up the school supplies for open house today but they were still anxious.
The bread took 55 minutes to bake through... It was good and I'm glad I made a double batch so I could freeze one for another day but it is not as quick as they said.
Here is the recipe with my changes (doubled apples and I added salt... baked goods require salt)
Apple Cinnamon Loaf
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 apples peeled and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and sugar a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Mix brown sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl and set aside.
- Beat white sugar and butter together in a bowl using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until incorporated; add vanilla extract.
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder together in another bowl; stir into creamed butter mixture. Mix milk into batter until smooth. Stir in half the chopped apples. Pour half the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Next add half the apples and half the brown sugar cinnamon mixture. Lightly pat apple mixture into batter.
- Pour the remaining batter over apple layer; top with remaining apples and add more brown sugar/cinnamon mixture. Lightly pat apples into batter; swirl brown sugar mixture through apples using a finger or spoon.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes.
My bread stuck... but the girls didn't care and it was Yummy! Great addition to coffee in the morning!