Chicken noodle Soup - Part 2 of Lemon Basil Chicken

Okay so for me this is a planned dinner based off of leftover from my Lemon Basil Chicken in the crock pot.  Realistically you can make this with any leftover chicken, rotisserie chicken, or even those cans of chicken in the store. 
My girls love Chicken Noodle soup and since I'm feeling very congested today and I made chicken yesterday it was a perfect night for soup (or maybe, just maybe a pot-pie but the girls opted for soup).  
I gathered up everything I needed on the counter for you... but forgot the noodles for the shot.

I used my big pot and drizzled olive oil over the bottom and turned the heat on to medium.  Then I used my chopper and chopped up one whole onion and added it to the oil to saute.  Then I used my garlic press on 3 cloves of garlic (I love garlic) to add to the pot.  Next I took a handful of carrots (as much as you like) and chopped them up as well.  Into the pot with 2 stalks of chopped celery too....  Just saute till the onions are translucent.
Now add your pan juices from the chicken, remember I told you to save them.  If you don't have pan juices just use more chicken broth.  A quick tip on those pan juices, if you had them in the refrigerator over night then the fat has solidified on the top and you can spoon it off and chuck it in the trash. Now add 2 of the knorr chicken stock things (I swear I should buy stock in this company, I love those little stock things).  Add water till the pot is pretty full (leave room to add the meat and the noodles).  Now shredd up your chicken meat and add it to the pot as well.  I like a lot of chicken to my soup so I added a bunch, protein is very important.  Now bring it up to a boil, put the lid on and turn it down to a simmer.  Set a timer for 20 minutes to allow the carrots to soften up.  After the 20 min are up, take off the lid and turn the heat back up to high to bring it back to a rapid boil.  Add the noodles and stir.  Again my girls like a lot of noodles so I add the whole package of noddles.
 
Allow it to boil for however long your noodles need to cook (for the no yolk it's 10-12 min).  When your noodles are cooked your soup is ready to eat.  I usually have to add more liquid to the pot after I boil it, just make sure it's hot water and you stir it well.  If you add a lot of water add some more chicken bouillon or stock to keep your soup from being watered down.

  • Already cooked chicken (leftover, rotisserie or canned)
  • Chicken broth or stock (I use the knorr stock packet thing)
  • carrots handful of baby ones
  • 2 stalks of celery
  • onion
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • olive oil
  • hot water
  • egg noodles
Saute your chopped onion, carrot, celery and garlic.  Add broth to the pot allowing room for the meat and noodles.  Shred the meat and add to the pot.  Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.  Bring back to a rapid boil, add egg noodles and cook till tender.  Serve up and enjoy.



Comments

  1. Made this soup tonight, and it was great! Instead of using leftover chicken or pre-cooked chicken, I boiled about 1 3/4 pounds of chicken and then shredded it. I used the stock from the chicken I boiled as my base and then added the Knorr things and water and I also added one chicken bouillon cube. This was some really good soup! Thanks for sharing your recipes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finding My Voice.... and my story

Nursing School Break...

Where we are now.... and where are we going