What to do with Leftover spaghetti...

Okay, okay... I know I said I was doing Shrimp Scampi today.  Life intervened,first I drove the girls up to St. James to visit with some friends who were in town for a funeral...  Sad occasion, but good visit for the kiddos and a nice reminder to keep in touch with the ones who matter to us.
Then we took the girls over to the park to play for a bit after they left for the airport...
But what really interfered with the shrimp scampi plan was my new sewing machine.  This beauty has been here for a week and other than 15 minutes or so I had not had the time to play with it.  Next weekend is my Niece's baby shower so a present needs to be made... Enter the enjoyable way I spent my afternoon. :)  Have I mentioned I love sewing as well as cooking
Of course Shrimp Scampi is a quick dish, but I didn't want to bother with it.  What to do?  The girls wanted something pasta.  So I turned to a staple, Spaghetti and Meatballs.
I have meatballs in my freezer from a freezer stock day, and homemade marinara as well.  You will get that recipe soon since I used my last bag of it tonight.
I did decide since I was going to the trouble of making spaghetti that I was gonna do a double batch and have leftovers for another night.  I mixed a can of spaghetti sauce (0.69 at the commissary), with a 2 cup bag of my homemade sauce and a bag of homemade meatballs.  Let that simmer for 20 min or so to allow the meatballs to be heated through.  Then I boil the pasta and serve it up.  No real work involved tonight because I did it before.
What to do with the leftovers though?  We are going on a road trip tomorrow so they can't just go in the fridge for lunches.... Enter Baked Spaghetti Casserole :)  Now, of course you can make this as a meal it doesn't have to be a planned leftover.  Tonight it was though.  I had all this lovely spaghetti left.

I fished out my meatballs and cut them into quarters, then I added all this and stirred it up
So I mixed in 1/2 cup sour cream and 1/2 container cottage cheese.  I noticed it was looking a bit dry so I also added an 8 oz. can of tomato sauce.  Mix it all together with the noodles and the meatballs and place it in a casserole dish for later.
I decided that I was going to make it extra special and added a layer of turkey pepperoni  under the mozerella cheese.
I double wrapped it with foil and put it in my garage freezer for another night.  When I decide to cook it I will take off the excess tin foil and bake it until heated through. 
Coming soon:   my post on sloppy joes to feed a crowd!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding My Voice.... and my story

Nursing School Break...

Where we are now.... and where are we going